Metropolitan Line


Map Colour:
 Dark Magenta
First Operated: 1863
Type: Sub-Surface
Length: 41.5 Miles/ 66.7 km
No. of Stations: 34
Night Service: No
Current Stock: S Stock  

The Metropolitan Line runs from Amersham & Chesham in Buckinghamshire, Watford in Hertfordshire and Uxbridge in North-West London to Aldgate in the City of London. The Metropolitan Line initially opened as the ‘Metropolitan Railway’ between Paddington and Farringdon Street in 1863 and was the first ever underground railway in the world. The Metropolitan Line is the least busiest sub-surface line and the second least busiest London Underground line despite being the longest sub-surface line and third longest London Underground line.

Rolling Stock

S Stock
The Metropolitan line currently operates 8 car S Stock trains know as ‘S8 Stock’ trains, the trains are built by Bombardier in Derby as part of their Movia family. S8 Stock trains were ordered to replace the A Stock trains which had been in operation on the Metropolitan Line since 1961. S8 Stock trains differ from the S7 variant used on Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines as they feature an additional carriage as well as having a ‘transverse’ seating layout as opposed to the ‘longitudinal’ seating layout on S7 Stock trains which suit the long distance style of the line however three S8 Stock trains were converted from S7 Stock trains and therefore these three trains have a ‘longitudinal’ seating layout. It is planned to increase the traction voltage from 630v to 750v once the whole Sub-Surface network has S Stock trains for better performance and to get better performance from their regenerative brakes. S8 Stock trains entered passenger service on the Metropolitan line in 2010 and replaced all A Stock trains from 26th September 2012.

Depots

Neasden
The Metropolitan Line is served by Neasden depot which opened in 1882 to replace the depot at Edgware Road, the depot was upgraded between 1904 and 1905 to be able to accommodate electric trains. The depot was enlarged between 1932 and 1933 and then rebuilt between 1936 and 1939. The depot was upgraded once again between 2010 and 2011 to be able to accommodate S Stock trains.

Other Depots & Sidings

The Metropolitan Line also stable trains overnight on sidings at Uxbridge, Watford, Rickmansworth and Wembley Park.

Stations


Station Name Opened Additional Information
Amersham 1st September 1892 Renamed ‘Amersham & Chesham Bois’ on 12th March 1922, renamed again in 1937. Terminus of the Amersham branch. Platforms shared with National Rail services on the London to Aylesbury Line.
Chesham 8th July 1889 Terminus of the Chesham Branch.
Chalfont & Latimer 8th July 1889 Originally opened as ‘Chalfont Road’, renamed on 1st November 1915. Platforms shared with National Rail services on the London to Aylesbury Line.
Chorleywood 8th July 1889 Originally opened as ‘Chorley Wood’, renamed ‘Chorley Wood & Chenies’ on 1st November 1915. Renamed back to ‘Chorley Wood’ in 1934, renamed again in 1964. Platforms shared with National Rail services on the London to Aylesbury Line.
Rickmansworth 1st September 1887 Platforms shared with National Rail services on the London to Aylesbury Line.
Watford 2nd November 1925 Terminus of the Watford Branch.
Croxley 2nd November 1925 Originally opened as ‘Croxley Green’, renamed on 23rd May 1949.
Moor Park 9th May 1910 Originally opened as ‘Sandy Lodge’, renamed ‘Moor Park & Sandy Lodge’ on 18th October 1923. Renamed again on 25th September 1950. Four platforms used by the Metropolitan Line, two platforms shared with National Rail services on the London to Aylesbury Line.
Northwood 1st September 1887 Not served by ‘Fast’ services.
Northwood Hills 13th November 1933 Not served by ‘Fast’ services.
Pinner 25th May 1885 Not served by ‘Fast’ services.
North Harrow 22th March 1915 Not served by ‘Fast’ services.
Uxbridge 4th July 1904 Station resited from Belmont Road in 1938. Terminus of the Uxbridge Branch. Platforms shared with Piccadilly Line services.
Hillingdon 10th December 1923 Renamed ‘Hillingdon (Swakeleys)’ in 1934, suffix gradually dropped. Resited and rebuilt in 1992. Platforms shared with Piccadilly Line services.
Ickenham 25th September 1905 Platforms shared with Piccadilly Line services.
Ruislip 4th July 1904 Platforms shared with Piccadilly Line services.
Ruislip Manor 5th August 1912 Platforms shared with Piccadilly Line services.
Eastcote 26th May 1906 Platforms shared with Piccadilly Line services.
Rayners Lane 26th May 1906 Platforms shared with Piccadilly Line services.
West Harrow 17th November 1913
Harrow-on-the-Hill 2nd August 1880 Originally opened as ‘Harrow’, renamed in 1894. Four platforms used by Metropolitan Line services, Metropolitan Line services also occasionally used the National Rail platforms.
Northwick Park 28th June 1923 Originally opened as ‘Northwick Park & Kenton’, renamed in 1937. Not served by ‘Fast’ and ‘Semi-Fast’ services.
Preston Road 21st May 1908 Resited in 1932. Not served by ‘Fast’ and ‘Semi-Fast’ services.
Wembley Park 12th May 1894 Cross-platform interchange with the Jubilee Line. Not served by southbound ‘Fast’ and ‘Semi-Fast’ services. Four platforms used by Metropolitan Line services, one for northbound ‘Fast’ and ‘Semi-Fast’ services, one for northbound services serving all stations, one for southbound services and one for through southbound ‘Fast’ and ‘Semi-Fast’ services.
Finchley Road 30th June 1879 Cross-platform interchange with the Jubilee Line. Renamed ‘Finchley Road (South Hampstead)’ in 1885, suffix dropped in 1914.
Baker Street 10th January 1863 Some trains from Amersham, Watford and Uxbridge terminate here. Four platforms used by Metropolitan Line services, two bay platforms for terminating services and two through platforms to Aldgate.
Great Portland Street 10th January 1863 Oringally opened as ‘Portland Road’, renamed in 1917. Renamed again ‘Great Portland Street & Regents Park’ in 1923 but renamed back to ‘Great Portland Street’ in 1933.
Euston Square 10th January 1863 Originally opened as ‘Gower Street’, renamed in 1909.
King’s Cross St Pancras 10th January 1863 Originally opened as ‘King’s Cross’, renamed ‘King’s Cross & St Pancras’ in 1925 and again to ‘King’s Cross St Pancras’ in 1933. Moved to current position in 1941.
Farringdon 10th January 1863 Originally opened as ‘Farringdon Street’, renamed ‘Farringdon & High Holborn’ in 1922 and renamed again to ‘Farringdon’ in 1936. Moved to current position in 1865.
Barbican 23rd December 1865 Originally opened as ‘Aldersgate Street’, renamed ‘Aldersgate’ in 1910, renamed again ‘Aldersgate & Barbican’ in 1923 and renamed again ‘Barbican’ in 1968.
Moorgate 23rd December 1865 Originally opened as ‘Moorgate Street’, renamed in 1924.
Liverpool Street 11th July 1875 Trains used platforms in the mainline station from February to July 1875.
Aldgate 18th November 1876 Terminus.