Map Colour: Silver
First Operated: 1979
Type: Deep Level
Length: 22.5 Miles/ 36.2 km
No. of Stations: 27
Night Service: Yes
Current Stock: 1996 Stock
The Jubilee Line runs west-east via South London from Stanmore Station in Northwest London to Stratford in East London, it is the newest line on the London Underground network although part of the line dates back to 1932 and some stations to 1879. It is the third busiest London Underground line. The design of the Jubilee Line section from Westminster to Stratford known as the Jubilee Line Extension (JLE) is completely different to anything else on London Underground, opened in 1999 it is the second newest extension on London Underground and features polished metal panels and moulded concrete walled interiors and all underground stations on the JLE feature platform edge doors to assist airflow and for safety. Canary Wharf Station on the Jubilee Line is the second busiest station out of Central London and the busiest London Underground station serving one line. The Jubilee Line runs in between the Metropolitan Line tracks between Finchley Road & Wembley Park and run beside the DLR between Canning Town & Stratford. The Jubilee Line is managed by Tube Lines on behalf of TfL.
In 1932 the Metropolitan Railway built a branch from Wembley Park to Stanmore to serve the expanding suburbs in the area however the branch became so popular that the lines into Baker Street were becoming overloaded. The Metropolitan Railway proposed an underground line from Edgware Road Station along the route of the Edgware Road to near Willesden Green, Edgware Road Station was rebuilt to have 4 platforms however plans were changed after the formation of the London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB) which subsequently took over the Metropolitan Railway. The new proposal was a branch of the Bakerloo Line from Baker Street to Swiss Cottage and the branch would then run parellel with the Metropolitan Railway to Wembley Park and then take over the branch to Stanmore. This branch opened in 1939, following this the Metropolitan Railway closed stations at Lord’s, Marlborough Road & Swiss Cottage and trains started to operate non-stop between Finchley Road & Wembley Park as all these stations and sections would be well served by the Bakerloo Line.
New Routes for the Underground network were being considered before and after WWII, the main routes being considered were ‘Line C’ which was later built as the Victoria Line and lines 3 and 4 which were designed to link northwest London to Fenchurch Street, Wapping, Lewisham and Hayes. In 1965 the proposed ‘Fleet Line’ was mentioned as a possible new line following the completion of the Victoria Line, the Fleet Line would run from Baker Street to Cannon Street calling at Bond Street, Trafalgar Square, Strand, Fleet Street and Ludgate Circus and then proceeding onto Southeast London. Construction of the Fleet Line began in 1971 however due to economic pressure and there being no chosen destination in southeast London for the line yet the line was constructed using a staged approach. The first stage was built as far as a point just past Charing Cross Station, the line was also joined onto the Bakerloo Line branch to Stanmore at Baker Street and took over that branch relieving the West End section of the Bakerloo Line. The work on this stage was completed in 1979 and as part of these works Trafalgar Square & Strand stations were combined into one station complex and renamed Charing Cross, the existing Charing Cross Station on the Sub Surface Lines was renamed Embankment. Whilst planning the London Transport Silver Jubilee Bus fleet in 1975 the then Sales Manager of London Transport Advertising, Geoffrey Holliman, proposed that the Fleet Line should be renamed the Jubilee Line however this was rejected because of the additional costs involved. Despite this the project was renamed the Jubilee Line for the Queens Silver Jubilee in 1977 following a pledge made by the Conservative Party in the Greater London Council Election of 1977. The lines representative colour was supposed to be battleship grey due to the naval meaning of the word ‘fleet’ however this was also changed to a lighter grey to represent the Silver of the Silver Jubilee.
The line from Stanmore to Charing Cross was opened by the Prince of Wales on 30th April 1979 and passenger services began on 1st May 1979. Due to lack of funds construction of the rest of the lines four stages to Ludgate Circus and Southeast London was put on hold however options were still being proposed, one option would have seen the line continue to Aldwych, Ludgate Circus, Cannon Street, Fenchurch Street and then under the Surrey Docks to take over the East London Line’s New Cross & New Cross Gate Branches and then onto Lewisham with the possible continuation onto Addiscombe and Hayes taking over suburban services on these branches. An alternative option known as the ‘River Line’ would have seen the line continue to Aldwych, Ludgate Circus, Cannon Street, Fenchurch Street, St Katharine Docks, Wapping, Surrey Docks North, Millwall, North Greenwich, Custom House, Silvertown, Woolwich Arsenal and terminating at Thamesmead, a depot would have been built at Beckton near to where the current Beckton DLR Depot is situated however this option was deemed too expensive. Due to changes in land use particularly in the Docklands Area the proposals of the line past Charing Cross were changed considerably throughout the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, the final proposal was named the ‘Jubilee Line Extension’ (JLE). The line would be extended from Green Park to Stratford calling at Westminster, Waterloo, Southwark, London Bridge, Bermondsey, Canada Water, Canary Wharf, Blackwall, Canning Town and West Ham however the line was later altered to pass under the Thames and serve North Greenwich instead of Blackwall. Construction of the JLE began in December 1993 however due to a collapse during the Heathrow Express Project which was using the same tunnelling method construction of the JLE was put on hold until 1997. The Extension opened in phases with Stratford to North Greenwich opening on 14th May 1999, North Greenwich to Waterloo opening on 24th September 1999 and eventually the rest of the extension on 20th November 1999 with the exceptions of London Bridge which opened on 7th October 1999, Southwark which opened 20th November 1999 and the Jubilee Line platforms at Westminster which did not open until 22nd December 1999. The extension left a one station branch from Green Park to Charing Cross which was closed on 19th November 1999 as well as the Jubilee Line platforms at Charing Cross although this branch is still used and maintained as a place for trains to turn around during disruption and use as a film set.
in the 1970s 33 1972 Tube Stock trains were ordered to operate on the Jubilee Line from the opening, the 1972 Mk2 Stock was built for the Jubilee Line which had slightly different interiors to the 1972 Mk1 Stock trains in use on the Northern Line at the time and were painted in a different livery. The 1972 Mk2 Stock trains operated on the Northern and Bakerloo Lines prior to the opening of the Jubilee Line.
In 1982 15 1983 Tube Stock trains were ordered to partially replace the 1972 Stock trains on the Jubilee Line and when passenger numbers surged 15 more were built and delivered in 1986, the displaced 1972 Stock trains were transferred to the Northern Line and later the Bakerloo Line where they are still in operation. The 1983 Stock was similar in design to the D Stock, with similar interiors and single leaf doors however the 1983 Stock was very unreliable with regular failings of the motors and generators for lighting.
When the Jubilee Line Extension was being planned it was planned that the 1983 Stock trains would be refurbished and would run alongside new trains being ordered for the Jubilee Line however this was scrapped in favour of completely replacing the trains on the line with brand new 1996 Tube Stock trains. The 1996 Stock trains were purchased for the opening of the Jubilee Line Extension however due to the delays of the extension the trains were delivered much earlier than the opening of the extension and so began replacing 1983 Stock trains on Christmas Eve 1997 and fully replaced the 1983 Stock trains by July 1998, over a year prior to the opening of the Jubilee Line Extension. 1996 Tube Stock trains were delivered as six car sets however in early 2005 it was announced that a seventh car will be added to all of the trains and four new trains will be ordered. On Christmas Day 2005 the Jubilee Line closed for five days for the conversion of the trains to seven cars as the platform edge doors on the JLE meant that six and seven car trains couldn’t run at the same time, the line re-opened two days early.
Stratford Market Depot is situated between Stratford and West Ham Stations and was the first part of the Jubilee Line Extension (JLE) to be completed. It was built to store and maintain the 1996 Tube Stock trains ordered for the Jubilee Line as part of the Jubilee Line Extension project. The depot also houses a training academy which was added in 2004-2006 and has sample tracks and signals used by Tube Lines for training.
Neasden Depot is used for stabling of Jubilee Line trains and is shared with the Metropolitan Line, Neasden is the Metropolitan Lines main depot and also used by Circle and Hammersmith & City Line trains for maintenance. Neasden can also be used to test train whistles as the use of train whistles is banned at Stratford Market Depot.
Current Stations on the Jubilee Line:
|Stanmore||10th December 1932|
|Canons Park||10th December 1932||Originally opened as Canons Park (Edgware), renamed in 1933.|
|Queensbury||16th December 1934|
|Kingsbury||10th December 1932|
|Wembley Park||14th October 1893|
|Neasden||2nd August 1880|
|Dollis Hill||1st October 1909|
|Willesden Green||24th November 1879|
|Kilburn||24th November 1879||Originally opened as Kilburn & Brondesbury, renamed on 25th September 1950.|
|West Hampstead||30th June 1879|
|Finchley Road||30th June 1879|
|Swiss Cottage||20th November 1939|
|St John’s Wood||20th November 1939|
|Baker Street||1st May 1979|
|Bond Street||1st May 1979|
|Green Park||1st May 1979|
|Westminster||22nd December 1999|
|Waterloo||24th September 1999|
|Southwark||20th November 1999|
|London Bridge||7th October 1999|
|Bermondsey||17th September 1999|
|Canada Water||17th September 1999|
|Canary Wharf||17th September 1999|
|North Greenwich||14th May 1999|
|Canning Town||14th May 1999|
|West Ham||14th May 1999|
|Stratford||14th May 1999|
Former Jubilee Line Stations:
|Station Name||Opened||Service Withdrawn||Additional Information|
|Charing Cross||1st May 1979||19th November 1999|