Map Colour: Pink
First Operated: 1990 (1863 as Metropolitan Line)
Length: 15.8 Miles/ 25.5 km
No. of Stations: 29
Night Service: No
Current Stock: S Stock
The Hammersmith & City Line runs west-east from Hammersmith Station in West London to Barking in East London, it shares tracks and stations with the Circle, District and Metropolitan Lines excluding a small section from near Aldgate station to near Aldgate East Station.
1863 saw the opening of the Metropolitan Railway on the 10th January which was the world’s first underground railway service which ran between Paddington and Farringdon Street using steam locomotives and wooden carriages. The line was extended west from Paddington to Hammersmith the following year, this section was built jointly by the Great Western and Metropolitan Railways. When the western extension opened on 13th June 1864 the Great Western Railway (GWR) started running a service from Farringdon Street to Hammersmith, services to Addison Road (now Kensington (Olympia)) via the West London Railway started in late 1864 using a link at Latimer Road.
From 1865 the Metropolitan Railway ran standard gauge trains to Hammersmith and the GWR ran broad gauge trains to Kensington and when the railway became jointly owned by both railways in 1867 the GWR began running standard gauge train on the line and the board gauge rails were removed in 1869. Two more tracks parallel to the GWR between Westbourne Park and Paddington were opened in 1871 for use by the Hammersmith & City Railway and flat crossing at Westbourne Park was replaced by a dive-under tunnel in 1878.
The Railway was extended east in 1876 to Aldgate which opened on 18th November, later the Metropolitan Railway decided they wanted to connect to the South Eastern Railway via the East London Railway and so jointly with the District Railway they extended the District Railway to Aldgate and then extended both lines on to meet the East London Railway near Whitechapel and to new platforms at Whitechapel in 1884 and some Metropolitan Railway services were extended to New Cross via the East London Railway.
The Whitechapel & Bow Railway opened in 1902 linking the District Railway to the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway between Whitechapel and Bow and some District Railway services were extended to East Ham. The line was electrified in 1906 and the East London Railway also had it’s line electrified in 1914, following this service ran from Hammersmith to New Cross and New Cross Gate using 6 car Electric Multiple Units (EMUs) jointly owned by the Metropolitan Railway and the GWR until the GWR sold theirs to the Metropolitan Rail in 1923.
The line was absorbed into the London Passenger Transport Board on 1st July 1933 to along with other Underground Railways, tramways and bus operators in London and from 1936 some Hammersmith & City trains were extended over the District Railway to Barking instead of the East London Railway to help ease congestion on the District Railway, through trains to New Cross and New Cross Gate were eventually withdrawn altogether in November 1939 and trains started to only run to Whitechapel with 8 car trains from Uxbridge running to Barking. The Metropolitan Railway soon started having operational problems and from 1941 trains to Barking were run once again from Hammersmith. Services to Kensington (Olympia) via the curve at Latimer Road were suspended in 1940 due to war damage to the West London Line and this service was never reinstated.
The line was shown as part of the Metropolitan Railway until 1990 when it was show as a separate line, the Hammermsith & City Line from Hammersmith to Barking and the Metropolitan Line from Aldgate to Uxbridge, Watford and Amersham. In 1998 the infrastructure was partly privatised as a public-private partnership managed by Metronet, Metronet went into administration in 2007 and Transport for London took over responsibilities under the London Underground directorate. Whitechapel Station had to be reconstructed to accommodate Crossrail from 2018, as part of this 2 of the 4 platforms had to be taken out meaning that from December 2009 trains were no longer able to terminate at Whitechapel. All trains were extended to Barking with some terminating at Plaistow, a new reversing siding was built at West Ham to allow trains to terminate and reverse at West Ham should it be needed.
The Hammersmith & City line currently operates 7 car S Stock trains know as ‘S7 Stock’ trains, the trains are built by Bombardier in Derby as part of their Movia family. S7 Stock trains were ordered to replace the C69/ C77 Stock trains which had been in operation on the Hammersmith & City Line since 1970. S7 Stock trains are longer than the 6 car C Stock trains and so some station platforms have been lengthened, it is planned to increase the traction voltage from 630v to 750v once the whole Sub-Surface network has S Stock trains for better performance and to get better performance from their regenerative brakes. S7 Stock trains entered passenger service on the Hammersmith & City line on 6th July 2012 between Hammersmith and Moorgate, they began operating on the full line to Barking from 9th December 2012 and replaced all C Stock trains by 2015.
Hammersmith Depot is the lines main depot near Hammersmith Station, built by the Great Western Railway for the Metropolitan Railway when the joint railway to Hammersmith was electrified in 1906.
Other Depots and Sidings
Heavy maintenance is carried out at Neasden depot, S7 Stock deliveries are delivered to Neasden depot to be readied before transferring them to Hammersmith. The Hammersmith & City line also use sidings at Barking, Farringdon and near High Street Kensington known as ‘Triangle Sidings’ for stabling trains overnight.
Current stations on the Hammersmith & City line:
|Station Name||Opened||Additional Information|
|Hammersmith||13th June 1864||Moved to current position on 1st December 1868.|
|Goldhawk Road||1st April 1914|
|Shepherd’s Bush Market||13th June 1864||Moved to current position on 1st April 1914. Originally opened as ‘Shepherd’s Bush’, renamed on 12th October 2008.|
|Wood Lane||1st May 1908 (12th October 2008 as current station)||Originally opened as ‘Wood Lane (Exhibition)’ from 1908 – 1914, reopened ‘as required’ from 1920 as ‘Wood Lane (White City)’. Renamed White City in 1947 and closed in 1959, reopened again on 12th October 2008 as Wood Lane.|
|Latimer Road||16th December 1868|
|Ladbroke Grove||13th June 1864||Originally opened as Notting Hill, renamed ‘Notting Hill & Ladbroke Grove’ in 1880, renamed again ‘Ladbroke Grove (North Kensington)’ in 1919 and again to ‘Ladbroke Grove’ in 1938.|
|Westbourne Park||1st February 1866||Moved to current position on 1st November 1871. Used as a Great Western Railway mainline station from 1871 to 1992.|
|Royal Oak||30th October 1871||Also used as a Great Western Railway mainline station after opening.|
|Paddington||10th January 1863||Originally opened as ‘Paddington (Bishop’s Road)’, renamed in 1948.|
|Edgware Road||10th January 1863|
|Baker Street||10th January 1863|
|Great Portland Street||10th January 1863||Originally opened as ‘Portland Road’, renamed in 1917. Renamed again ‘Great Portland Street & Regents Park’ in 1923 but renamed back to ‘Great Portland Street’ in 1933.|
|Euston Square||10th January 1863||Originally opened as ‘Gower Street’, renamed in 1909.|
|King’s Cross St Pancras||10th January 1863||Originally opened as ‘King’s Cross’, renamed ‘King’s Cross & St Pancras’ in 1925 and again to ‘King’s Cross St Pancras’ in 1933. Moved to current position in 1941.|
|Farringdon||10th January 1863||Originally opened as ‘Farringdon Street’, renamed ‘Farringdon & High Holborn’ in 1922 and renamed again to ‘Farringdon’ in 1936. Moved to current position in 1865.|
|Barbican||23rd December 1865||Originally opened as ‘Aldersgate Street’, renamed ‘Aldersgate’ in 1910, renamed again ‘Aldersgate & Barbican’ in 1923 and renamed again ‘Barbican’ in 1968.|
|Moorgate||23rd December 1865||Originally opened as ‘Moorgate Street’, renamed in 1924.|
|Liverpool Street||11th July 1875||Trains used platforms in the mainline station from February to July 1875.|
|Aldgate East||6th October 1884||Relocated on 31st October 1938.|
|Whitechapel||6th October 1884||Originally opened as ‘Whitechapel (Mile End), renamed in 1901. Metropolitan Railway services began in 1906, withdrawn in 1913 and reinstated in 1936.|
|Stepney Green||23rd June 1902||Metropolitan Railway services began in 1941.|
|Mile End||2nd June 1902||Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936. Cross platform interchange with the Central Line.|
|Bow Road||11th June 1902||Mainline station opened in 1876 and moved in 1892. Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936, mainline station closed in 1947.|
|Bromley-by-Bow||2nd June 1902||Opened as mainline station in 1894 as ‘Bromley’, Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936. Mainline station closed in 1940 and renamed in 1967.|
|West Ham||2nd June 1902||Mainline station opened in 1901, renamed ‘West Ham (Manor Road)’ from 1924 to 1969. Metropolitan Railway services began in 1941.|
|Plaistow||2nd June 1902||Mainline station opened in 1858, Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936.|
|Upton Park||2nd June 1902||Mainline station opened in 1877, Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936.|
|East Ham||2nd June 1902||Mainline station opened in 1858, Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936.|
|Barking||2nd June 1902||Mainline station opened in 1854, District Railway service withdrawn between 1905-1908. Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936.|