District Line


Map Colour:
 Green
First Operated: 1868
Type: Sub-Surface
Length: 40 Miles/ 64 km
No. of Stations: 60
Night Service: No
Current Stock: D Stock/ S Stock  

The District Line runs from Upminster in east London to Ealing Broadway in west London, Richmond in south-west London and Wimbledon in south-west London as well as operating on branches to Edgware Road and Kensington (Olympia) in west London. The District Line is the busiest sub-surface line and the fifth busiest London Underground line, it is also the fourth longest London Underground line.

History
The District Line was originally part of the Metropolitan District Railway and was built as an underground ‘inner circle’ connecting London’s railway termini. The first line opened in December 1868 from South Kensington to Westminster, services being operated by the Metropolitan Railway using wooden carriages hauled by steam locomotives. In 1871 the District Railway began operating its own trains, the line had been extended to West Brompton and Mansion House. A curve from Earl’s Court onto the West London Railway was used by the London & North Western Railway (L&NWR) for a service to Broad Street and the Great Western Railway for a service to Moorgate via Paddington. Services were eventually extended to Hammersmith and then Richmond over the tracks of the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) and branches were built to Ealing Broadway, Hounslow and Wimbledon. As part of the project that completed the Circle line in October 1884 the District Railway was extended to Whitechapel. In 1902 the line was extended to link to the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway (LT&SR) and services began running to Upminster.

District Line services began seeing increased competition from new electric underground lines and trams and the use of steam locomotives underground led to smoke-filled stations and carriages. Charles Yerkes, who formed the Underground Electric Railways of London, financed the electrification of the District Railway and in 1903 the first electric train ran from Ealing to South Harrow. Electric trains were introduced on other services in 1905 as far as East Ham. Electric trains were also used for services from Mansion House to Earl’s Court. Services were extended back to Barking in 1908 and Upminster in 1932. In 1932 Piccadilly line trains were extended from Hammersmith to South Harrow taking over the District Line service from Acton Town to South Harrow  although the District Line continued to operate a shuttle from South Harrow to Uxbridge. In 1933 Piccadilly trains were extended to Hounslow West however the District Line also run an off-peak shuttle from South Acton to Hounslow for a period of time.

Rolling Stock 

380D Stock
6 car D Stock trains known as D78 Stock trains were ordered in 1976 to replace the CO/CP and R Stock on the District Line although 6 car C Stock trains known as C77 stock trains were ordered for the Edgware Road branch where platform lengths are too short to accommodate the longer D Stock trains. D Stock trains are formed of two three car units, each car is 18m in length. Some units have two motor cars but most have only one motor car, a driving car and a non-motor car, the motor cars are fitted with rheostatic braking. All trains were delivered by 1983 and all had a full refurbishment between 2004 and 2008 when the trains were painted in the London Underground livery ending the era of unpainted aluminium body trains.

S Stock
D Stock trains are currently being replaced by 7 car S Stock trains known as ‘S7 Stock’ trains, the trains are built by Bombardier in Derby as part of their Movia family. S7 Stock trains are longer than the 6 car D Stock trains and so some station platforms have been lengthened, it is planned to increase the traction voltage from 630v to 750v once the whole Sub-Surface network has S Stock trains for better performance and to get better performance from their regenerative brakes. It was planned that all D Stock trains would be replaced on the District Line by the end of 2016 however as of February 2017 some D Stock trains are still operating on the line.

Depots 

Ealing Common 
Ealing Common Depot was built by the District Railway during electrification of the line in the early 1900s.

Hammersmith
Hammersmith Depot was originally built by the Great Western Railway to be operated by the Metropolitan Railway.

Upminster
Upminster Depot was built between 1956 and 1958 when the District Line tracks were segregated at Upminster.

Stations 

Current Stations on the District Line:
Station Name Opened Additional Information
Ealing Broadway 1st July 1879 Terminus
Ealing Common 1st July 1879 Shares platforms with the Piccadilly Line. Between 1886 and 1910 known as ‘Ealing Common and West Acton’.
Acton Town 1st July 1879 Opened as ‘Mill Hill Park’, renamed on 1st March 1910. Cross platform interchange with the Piccadilly Line, occasionally Piccadilly Line trains use the District Line platforms here.
Chiswick Park 1st July 1879 Originally opened as ‘Acton Green’, renamed ‘Chiswick Park and Acton Green’ in 1889. Renamed again in 1910.
Richmond 1st October 1877 Terminus. Originally opened as ‘Richmond New’ by the London & South Western Railway on 1st January 1869, this merged with the mainline station in 1937.
Kew Gardens 1st October 1877 Originally opened by the London & South Western Railway on 1st January 1869. Shares platforms with London Overground services.
Gunnersbury 1st October 1877 Originally opened by the London & South Western Railway on 1st January 1869 as ‘Brentford Road’, renamed in 1871. Shares platforms with London Overground services.
Turnham Green 1st June 1877 Originally open by the London & South Western Railway on 1st January 1869. Cross platform interchange with the Piccadilly Line during mornings and evenings only.
Stamford Brook 1st February 1912
Ravenscourt Park 1st June 1877 Originally opened by the London & South Western Railway as ‘Shaftesbury Road’ on 1st April 1873, renamed on 1st March 1888.
Hammersmith 9th September 1874 Cross platform interchange with the Piccadilly Line. Interchange with the Circle and Hammersmith & City Lines at a separate Hammersmith Station.
Barons Court 9th October 1905 Cross platform interchange with the Piccadilly Line.
West Kensington 9th September 1874 Originally opened as ‘North End (Fulham)’, renamed in 1877.
Wimbledon 3rd June 1889 Terminus. Originally opened by the London & South Western Railway on 21st May 1838.
Wimbledon Park 3rd June 1889
Southfields 3rd June 1889
East Putney 3rd June 1889 Two platforms previously used by the London & South Western Railway are now disused.
Putney Bridge 1st March 1880 Originally opened as ‘Putney Bridge & Fulham’, renamed on 1st January 1902 to ‘Putney Bridge & Hurlingham’. Renamed again in 1932.
Parsons Green 1st March 1880
Fulham Broadway 1st March 1880 Originally opened as ‘Walham Green’, renamed on 2nd March 1952.
West Brompton 12th April 1869
Kensington (Olympia) 20th December 1946 Terminus. Originally opened on as ‘Addison Road’ on 2nd June 1862 and served by the London & North Western, Great Western, Metropolitan and other railways until 1940. Renamed and reopened as as a branch of the District Line on 20th December 1946. District Line trains only serve this station on weekends and during events at Olympia as well as very limited services on weekdays.
Earls Court 30th October 1871 District Line trains to all destinations call here.
High Street Kensington 1st October 1868 Terminus for trains from Kensington (Olympia). Originally opened as ‘Kensington (High Street)’, renamed in 1880.
Notting Hill Gate 1st October 1868
Bayswater 1st October 1868 Originally opened as ‘Bayswater’, renamed ‘Bayswater (Queen’s Road) & Westbourne Grove’ in 1923, renamed again ‘Bayswater (Queen’s Road)’ in 1933 and again to ‘Bayswater (Queensway)’ in 1946. The suffix was later dropped.
Paddington 1st October 1868 Originally opened as ‘Paddington (Praed Street)’, renamed in 1948.
Edgware Road 10th January 1863 Terminus.
Gloucester Road 1st October 1868 Originally opened as ‘Brompton (Gloucester Road), renamed in 1907.
South Kensington 24th December 1868
Sloane Square 24th December 1868
Victoria 24th December 1868
St James’s Park 24th December 1868
Westminster 24th December 1868 Originally opened as ‘Westminster Bridge’, renamed in 1970.
Embankment 30th May 1870 Originally opened as ‘Charing Cross’, renamed ‘Charing Cross Embankment’ in 1974 and again to ‘Embankment’ in 1976.
Temple 30th May 1870 Originally opened as ‘The Temple’.
Blackfriars 30th May 1870
Mansion House 3rd July 1871
Cannon Street 6th October 1884
Monument 6th October 1884 Originally opened as ‘Eastcheap’, renamed ‘The Monument’ in 1884. Escalator connection to Bank Station.
Tower Hill 25th September 1882 Originally opened as ‘Tower of London’, closed in 1884 due to opening of nearby ‘Mark Lane Station’ on the District Railway. Mark Lane was renamed ‘Tower Hill’ in 1946 and then moved to the site of the old ‘Tower of London’ station in 1967.
Aldgate East 6th October 1884 Relocated on 31st October 1938.
Whitechapel 6th October 1884 Originally opened as ‘Whitechapel (Mile End), renamed in 1901. Metropolitan Railway services began in 1906, withdrawn in 1913 and reinstated in 1936.
Stepney Green 23rd June 1902 Metropolitan Railway services began in 1941.
Mile End 2nd June 1902 Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936. Cross platform interchange with the Central Line.
Bow Road 11th June 1902 Mainline station opened in 1876 and moved in 1892. Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936, mainline station closed in 1947.
Bromley-by-Bow 2nd June 1902 Opened as mainline station in 1894 as ‘Bromley’, Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936. Mainline station closed in 1940 and renamed in 1967.
West Ham 2nd June 1902 Mainline station opened in 1901, renamed ‘West Ham (Manor Road)’ from 1924 to 1969. Metropolitan Railway services began in 1941.
Plaistow 2nd June 1902 Mainline station opened in 1858, Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936.
Upton Park 2nd June 1902 Mainline station opened in 1877, Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936.
East Ham 2nd June 1902 Mainline station opened in 1858, Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936.
Barking 2nd June 1902 Mainline station opened in 1854, District Railway service withdrawn between 1905-1908. Metropolitan Railway services began in 1936.
Upney 12th September 1932
Becontree 12th September 1932
Dagenham Heathway 12th September 1932 Originally opened as ‘Heathway’, renamed in 1949.
Dagenham East 2nd June 1902 Originally opened as ‘Dagenham’ by the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway in 1885. District Line trains were withdrawn between 1905 and 1932.
Elm Park 13th May 1935
Hornchurch 2nd June 1902 Originally open by the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway in 1885. District Line trains were withdrawn between 1905 and 1932.
Upminster Bridge 17th December 1934
Upminster 2nd June 1902 Terminus. Originally open by the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway in 1885. District Line trains were withdrawn between 1905 and 1932.

Former District Line Stations:
Station Name Opened Additional Information
South Ealing 1st May 1883 Piccadilly Line services to this station commenced on 29th April 1935, District Line services ceased on 10th October 1964.
Northfields 16th April 1908 Piccadilly Line services to this station commenced on 9th January 1933, District Line services ceased on 10th October 1964.
Boston Manor 1st May 1833 Piccadilly Line services to this station commenced on 13th January 1933, District Line services ceased on 10th October 1964.
Osterley 25th March 1934 Originally opened as ‘Osterley & Spring Grove’ on 1st May 1883, renamed during relocation. The Piccadilly Line served this station from the opening, District Line services ceased on 9th October 1964.
Hounslow Town 1st May 1883 Station closed on 31st March 1886 and reopened in 1903. Station relocated on 1st May 1909.
Hounslow East 2nd May 1909 Originally opened as ‘Hounslow Town’, renamed on 1st December 1925. Piccadilly Line services to this station commenced on 13th March 1933, District Line services ceased on 9th October 1964.
Hounslow Central 1st April 1886 Originally opened as ‘Heston-Hounslow’, renamed on 1st December 1925. Piccadilly Line services to this station commenced on 13th March 1933, District Line services ceased on 9th October 1964.
Hounslow West 21st July 1884 Originally opened as ‘Hounslow Barracks’, renamed on 1st December 1925. Piccadilly Line services to this station commenced on 13th March 1933, District Line services ceased on 9th October 1964.
St. Mary’s 3rd March 1884 Closed on 30th April 1938.
North Ealing 23rd June 1903 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 4th July 1932.
Park Royal 6th July 1931 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 4th July 1932.
Park Royal & Twyford Abbey 23rd June 1903 Closed on 6th July 1931.
Alperton 28th June 1903 Originally opened as Perivale-Alperton, renamed on 7th October 1910. Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 4th July 1932.
Sudbury Town 28th June 1903 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 4th July 1932.
Sudbury Hill 28th June 1903 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 4th July 1932.
South Harrow 28th June 1903 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 4th July 1932.
Rayners Lane 1st March 1910 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 23rd October 1933.
Eastcote 1st March 1910 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 23rd October 1933.
Ruislip Manor 5th August 1912 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 23rd October 1933.
Ruislip 1st March 1910 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 23rd October 1933.
Ickenham 1st March 1910 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 23rd October 1933.
Hillingdon 10th December 1923 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 23rd October 1933.
Uxbridge 1st March 1910 Piccadilly Line services commenced and District Line services ceased on 23rd October 1933.