Map Colour: Brown
First Operated: 1906
Type: Deep Level
Length: 14.5 Miles/ 23.2 km
No. of Stations: 25
Night Service: No
Current Stock: 1972 Tube Stock
The Bakerloo Line runs partly on the surface and partly at deep level from Elephant & Castle in South-East London to Harrow & Wealdstone in North-West London. The names comes from merging two station names served by the Bakerloo Line: Baker Street and Waterloo. It is the ninth busiest London Underground Line.
The Bakerloo Line originally opened on 10th March 1906 as the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway and was constructed by the Underground Electric Railways Compony of London (UERL), at opening the line ran from Baker Street to Lambeth North and was extended to Elephant & Castle on 5th August 1906. The name ‘Bakerloo’ was the name used on building contracts for the line, the name later rapidly caught on and the name was officially changed in July 1906.
By 1913 the Bakerloo Line had been extended west in stages to Paddington for interchange with the then Great Western Railway with an interchange station built at Marylebone for the Great Central Railway which opened on 27th March 1907 and a new station built at Edgware Road which opened on 15th Jube 1907 and by 1915 the line was extended further to Queen’s Park where it joined the lines of the then London and North Western Railway (LNWR) to run as far as Watford Junction. In the 1960s the Bakerloo services to Watford were reduced and eventually cut back to Stonebridge Park in 1982, services were then gradually restored to Harrow & Wealdstone from 1984 and in 1989 the service as we know it now was introduced.
On 20th November 1939 a new branch of the Bakerloo Line was opened. The line branched off near Baker Street and went to Finchley Road Station where it took over the Stanmore Branch of the Metropolitan Line to help ease congestion on the Metropolitan Line, two new stations were built between Baker Street and Finchley Road at St Johns Wood and Swiss Cottage. By 1979 the Bakerloo Line was seeing similar congestion problems because of the 2 branches merging at Baker Street so the Stanmore Branch of the Bakerloo Line was split from the rest of the line and joined new tunnels that continued to Charing Cross with platforms built at Bond Street and Green Park, this was named the Jubilee Line.
An extension to Camberwell and Denmark Hill was proposed and approved in 1931 at an estimated cost of £5,000,000, in 1937 the London Passenger Transport Board announced that due to to rising prices for necessary materials the extension is to be postponed until the boards finances improve. Prior to the Second World War the line was only extended as far as the Elephant & Castle sidings and after the powers were renewed by the government under the Special Enactments Act, 1940. A proposed extension only as far as Camberwell was shown on the 1949 edition of the Underground Map but the work was never done, the train describers at Warwick Avenue Station showed Camberwell as a destination until the 1990s.
From opening the Bakerloo Line used 1906 Stock trains also known as ‘Gate Stock’, to help cope with the Queen’s Park Extension 12 1914 Stock trains were ordered in 1914. For services between Queens Park and Watford Junction 72 new trains built by the Metropolitan Carriage, Waggon and Finance Company of Birmingham which were know as the Watford Joint Stock, these trains were partly owned by the Underground and partly owned by the London and North Western Railway and were originally painted in LNWR livery. In 1930 the Watford Joint Stock trains were proving unreliable and were replaced by Standard Stock Trains, in 1932 some extra carriages built for the Piccadilly Line were transferred to the Bakerloo Line but these and all other trains were also replaced by Standard Stock Trains and these were later replaced by 1938 Stock and 1949 Stock trains.
In the early 1978 the 1949 Stock Trains were replaced by 1972 Stock Trains but were intended for the Jubilee Line so when the Stanmore Branch of the Bakerloo Line became the Jubilee Line the 1972 Stock Trains transferred to the Jubilee Line with it which left the Bakerloo Line to be served by only 1938 Stock Trains. In 1983 the Jubilee Line ordered 1983 Stock Trains to replace it’s entire fleet of 1972 Stock Trains and it was decided that the 1972 Stock Trains would transfer back to the Bakerloo Line although by this point the 1938 Stock Trains were coming to the end of their life and had to be replaced so they were replaced by 1959 Stock Trains as a temporary measure until the 1972 Stock Trains from the Jubilee Line became available.
The Bakerloo Line is now operated solely by Mk II 1972 Stock Trains maintained at Stonebridge Park Depot, in the early 2000’s the interiors were deep cleaned and seat covers replaced with a new blue moquette. Seats are laid out both longitudinal and transverse although some cars have only longitudinal seating.
Stonebridge Park opened on 9th April 1978 on the site of an old British Rail Power Station and is the Bakerloo Lines main depot with the fleets maintenance facilities.
London Road was the Bakerloo Lines first depot and is located between Elephant & Caste and Lambeth North Stations on London Road, Southwark.
Queens Park is a small depot built in 1915 just north of Queens Park and is unique in being the only London Underground Depot to have trains run in passenger service through it.
When the Bakerloo Line ran to Watford Junction there was another depot at Croxley Green which closed in November 1985 due to the withdrawal of Bakerloo Line service to Watford.
Current Stations on the Bakerloo Line:
|Station Name||Opened||Additional Information|
|Harrow & Wealdstone||16th April 1917||Service Withdrawn on 24th September 1982 and was restored on 4th June 1984.|
|Kenton||16th April 1917||Service Withdrawn on 24th September 1982 and was restored on 4th June 1984.|
|South Kenton||3rd July 1933||Service Withdrawn on 24th September 1982 and was restored on 4th June 1984.|
|North Wembley||16th April 1917||Service Withdrawn on 24th September 1982 and was restored on 4th June 1984.|
|Wembley Central||16th April 1917||Originally opened as ‘Wembley Central for Sudbury’, renamed on 5th July 1948. Service Withdrawn on 24th September 1982 and was restored on 4th June 1984.|
|Stonebridge Park||1st August 1917|
|Harlesden||16th April 1917|
|Willesden Junction||10th May 1915|
|Kensal Green||1st October 1916|
|Queen’s Park||11th February 1915|
|Kilburn Park||31st January 1915|
|Maida Vale||6th June 1915|
|Warwick Avenue||31st January 1915|
|Paddington||1st December 1913|
|Edgware Road||15th June 1907|
|Marylebone||27th March 1907||Originally opened as ‘Great Central Station’, renamed on 15th April 1917.|
|Baker Street||10th March 1906|
|Regent’s Park||10th March 1906|
|Oxford Circus||10th March 1906|
|Piccadilly Circus||10th March 1906|
|Charing Cross||10th March 1906|
|Embankment||10th March 1906|
|Waterloo||10th March 1906|
|Lambeth North||10th March 1906||Originally opened as Kennington Road, renamed Westminster Bridge Road on 5th August 1906 and renamed again to Lambeth North on 15th April 1917.|
|Elephant & Castle||5th August 1906|
Former Bakerloo Line Stations:
|Station Name||Opened||Service Withdrawn||Additional Information|
|Watford Junction||16th April 1917||16th September 1982|
|Watford High Street||16th April 1917||24th September 1982|
|Bushey||16th April 1917||24th September 1982||Originally opened as Bushey & Oxhey, renamed on 6th May 1974.|
|Carpenders Park||5th April 1919||24th September 1982||First station closed on 16th November 1952, relocated and re-opened 17th November 1952.|
|Hatch End||16th April 1917||24th September 1982||Originally opened as Pinner & Hatch End, renamed Hatch End (for Pinner) on 1st February 1920 and renamed again to Hatch End in 1956.|
|Headstone Lane||16th April 1917||24th September 1982|
|Stanmore||10th December 1932||1st May 1979|
|Canons Park||10th December 1932||1st May 1979||Originally opened as Canons Park (Edgware), renamed in 1933.|
|Queensbury||16th December 1934||1st May 1979|
|Kingsbury||10th December 1932||1st May 1979|
|Wembley Park||14th October 1893||1st May 1979|
|Neasden||2nd August 1880||1st May 1979|
|Dollis Hill||1st October 1909||1st May 1979|
|Willesden Green||24th November 1879||1st May 1979|
|Kilburn||24th November 1879||1st May 1979||Originally opened as Kilburn & Brondesbury, renamed on 25th September 1950.|
|West Hampstead||30th June 1879||1st May 1979|
|Finchley Road||30th June 1879||1st May 1979|
|Swiss Cottage||20th November 1939||1st May 1979|
|St John’s Wood||20th November 1939||1st May 1979|